It has been a while since I have written. The things that have been going on have made it difficult for me to write, but I hope will try to share as many of the sweet details as I can without making this entry 5 pages long :)
There are two big things that have happened in the last month. On February 9th the 2nd year team headed off to Oregon to embark on a 21 day backpacking/survival course. We were all looking forward to the opportunity to learn new skills and experience life in the outdoors over such an extended period of time. One of the expectations we went into the trip with was that we would not be in the snow. This year every trip we have been on, including the one in August, has been filled with snow. We were excited because we were told that the temperatures would be between 40 and 60 degrees; however, when we arrived things were very different. As a matter of fact, when we arrived in Seneca, Oregon at the headquarters of Rare Earth Adventures there was at least 6" of snow on the ground and it was still snowing. It is important to note that 2nd year has plenty of experience backpacking in the snow, so there was never a concern of whether we could handle it or not. The concern was coming out of the fact that we did not bring gear that was conducive to a winter environment. We did not have snow boots, and some people did not even bring their gators. So began the decision making process. In the end my team decided that we not only wanted challenge, but that we were really up for it and we wanted to start the trip even if that meant we were in the snow. So we headed off to the Malheur National Forrest, and the snow was even deeper than we expected. We did not have snowshoes to make snow travel easier, which meant that we were post holing up to mid-thigh in some places. It was slow going that first day, but off we went.
The trip consisted of static camping, daily traveling and a three day solo in the middle. Throughout the trip we learned out to cook and bake using bulk ingredients. The cooking was truly a highlight of the trip. We were eating things like pizza, coffee cake, homemade bread, pineapple upside down cake, etc. There was no starvation or eating of bugs. I went into the trip with three goals: I wanted to learn how to build a tarp shelter, I wanted to learn navigation,and I wanted to give feedback to others and receive feedback in a positive and edifying manner. I was able to achieve all of those goals. It truly was the best trip of my life, and I know that I walked away from it with a deep sense of confidence and an excitement because I was so affirmed by my instructors. Being in the back country for that length of time gave me the opportunity to acclimate my body to the conditions and through that I found a deeper love of being outside than I had previously experienced. I can't wait to get back outside! If there is anything you would like to know about my trip please feel free to ask.
The other big thing that has happened has to do with an answer to my prayer and my heart's desire. On February 1st I submitted my application to become and Explore intern. On March 6th I was offered the position and I joyously accepted. That basically means that the next two years of my college education will be spent as a leader in the Explore program who will work as a mentor to a team of students who are in the Explore program like I was last year. It is an enormous opportunity and an even larger responsibility. What is really neat is knowing that in two years I will have my BA in Ministry with the a focus on Outdoor Leadership, but the amount of field experience I will get is way beyond what most people have when they graduate with their BA. I am entering into this position with fear and trembling, but I also have great confidence in the Lord. I know he led me to this place and I know I can lean on him. I am very excited and want to thank you for praying for me.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey! Congrats on the intern selection!! I'm super excited to know you'll be around for a couple years still! Can you believe the snow tonight? Wow!
ReplyDeleteHey thanks! I am looking forward to it in so many ways. Being able to continue building relationships with the people in this community is exciting. I look forward to the opportunities that you and I will have to hang out more.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I thought winter was over. What the heck?
Hey Samantha
ReplyDeleteIt has been great fun to catch up with you via your blog!Thank God for the memories you can keep since the lost of your computer and yea for the new one.Wow-what a trip you took-any pics? Congrats on being chosen as an Explore Intern-sounds like you are traveling in the right direction! I am currently in Singapore with Erin visiting Carly who is in school here.Hot weather,elephant riding in the rain forest,feeding wild monkeys,WOW what an adventure! Take care and we still hope to send you pics from Atlanta!
Kay